Monday, February 6, 2012

Nautical Lamp Tutorial

Hello friends!

I have another project to share... this one is sooooooo cute and definitely one of my favorites.

This weekend I finished my nautical lamp and I love the way it turned out. We needed a lamp on our new bedside table in our guest room. I found some cute nautical looking lamps, but nothing that I loved and most were pretty expensive. I then remembered my finds on Pinterest, here and here and knew exactly what I wanted to do. Here's how I did it.

I gathered:

An adorable wide mouth wine jug. I got this from TJ Maxx for $9.99. When I saw it, I just knew that it had to be out new lamp. However, if you have or can find an antique version of this, that would be super cute, too.
A bottle top lamp kit, and shade attachment kit from Lowes.
A cork to fit my bottle. I actually had to cut this to get it to fit. I used a serrated knife to trim it down.
Lamp shade. Mine is from Walmart. It is getting recovered, but I liked the shape.

So, there is one part of this project that I had to do that is "tricky." Figuring out how to cut the hole in the back of the wine jug was a little problem, until I realized how (for me) it was actually very simple.

I used my dental handpiece and a diamond bur. 

I am not sure how to explain how cutting glass is done, for any one who doesn't have access to dental equipment. Sorry. I asked about getting a bit for my electric drill (at home) but it seemed complicated and "risky." So, I just took my jug to work and cut a quick hole in the back.
Cutting a hole in the cork was very straight forward. Use a drill bit in an electric drill and cut a hole to fit your lamp kit post.
 Next, assemble your lamp, per the picture on the back of the lamp kit. Steve helped with this part, thanks, babe! Oh, and Bella supervised, as you can see.
Next, I covered the lamp shade. This was by far the most time consuming part of this project. It took me a while to figure out how to get the fabric to fit the shade. I pretty much did this by trial and error.
 Once I finally had the flat shade fabric hemmed and fitted around the shade, I added my nautical touch- the rope trim! Steve helped me hold the rope in just the right spot, while I measured and cut the pieces. Then, I used fabric glue and plastic kitchen clips to help hold the trim in place while the glue dried.
This is the back, where you can see I sewed the fabric together to get a tight fit around the shade and lined up the trim.
Here's the final product. I think it's even cuter than I imagined!
Topper.
Trim.
Set up on the bedside table.
 
All lit up!
Also, thanks Corbin and Tyler for the adorable vintage alarm clock! I think this room has really come together. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I want one since I don't have a sewing machine or dental tools for the drill. I will provide the supplies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to make one for you! Let's plan a weekend and you can come for a "crafting weekend" - the guys could craft brew and we can craft projects. :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails